15.04.110 Construction additions to existing structures being served by a powts.
(1) Construction Affecting Wastewater Flow or Contaminant Load.
(a) Pursuant to Comm 83.25(2)(c), Wisconsin Administrative Code a municipality shall not issue a building permit nor the County a zoning permit for the addition to a structure that will modify the design wastewater flow or contaminant load or both to an existing POWTS unless the owner of the property:
1. Possess a Sanitary Permit to either modify the existing POWTS or construct a POWTS to accommodate the modification in wastewater flow or contaminant load or both: or
2. Provides documentation to verify that the existing POWTS is sufficient to accommodate the modification in wastewater flow or contaminant load or both.
3. For the purpose of this ordinance, a modification in wastewater flow or contaminant load or both shall be defined as:
a. Commercial Facilities, public building and places of employment when there is a proposed change in occupancy of the structure; or the proposed modification affects either type or number of plumbing appliances, fixtures or devices discharging to the system.
b. Dwellings that have an increase or decrease in the number of bedrooms and/or additions, interior modifications, renovations or remodeling or any combination thereof that enlarges or impacts a dwelling’s building area and/or floor area by 25% or greater. For purposes of this ordinance and this provision only, a modification in wastewater flow or contaminant load or both may result in; a change in roofline, the conversion of storage area to building area or floor area, re-wiring, re-insulating, re-constructing a foundation, enclosing open porches, decks or patios, replacing drywall, plaster or paneling, removal or construction of interior walls. A modification in wastewater flow or contaminant load or both does not result in the construction of open decks, patios or porches, garages, re-roofing, painting, wiring, re-siding, window replacement or the replacement of equipment or appliances.
4. Documentation of existing capabilities must verify that the existing POWTS can accommodate the modification in wastewater flow and contaminant load or both and shall include at least one (1) of the following:
a. Copy of the plan for the existing POWTS that delineates minimum and maximum performance capabilities and have been previously approved by the Department and/or the governmental unit.
b. Information on the performance capabilities for the existing POWTS that has been recognized through a product approval under Chapter Comm 84 Wisconsin Administrative Code.
c. A written investigative report prepared by an architect, engineer, designer of plumbing systems, designer of private sewage systems, a licensed plumber or POWTS inspector analyzing the proposed modification and the performance capabilities of the existing POWTS.
(2) Setback Requirements for all Structures and Additions. A municipality shall not issue a building/zoning permit for construction of any structure or addition to a structure on a site where there exists a POWTS unless the proposed construction conforms to the applicable setback requirements as stated in Comm. 83.43(8)(i), Table 83.43-1, Wisconsin Administrative Code.
(3) Setback Information. The applicant for a building/zoning permit shall provide documentation to the municipality issuing the permit all location and setback distances for the proposed construction including but not limited to: POWTS treatment components, holding components, dispersal components, conveyance piping, electrical wiring and designated POWTS replacement areas (where applicable).
(4) Completion of the POWTS. Any installation, addition or modification of a POWTS resulting from a construction project must be constructed, inspected and accepted by the County before the building addition or structure shall be occupied. [Code § 15.04-11, 2018.]