Skip to main content
This section is included in your selections.

(a) Utility Easements. The County zoning committee may require easements of widths deemed adequate for the intended purpose as determined by the town or County engineer. Such easements shall be located as determined by the applicable utility company and subject to approval by the town or County engineer, but preferably should be located within midblock easements (see Section 14.07-6(b)) or on each side of all rear lot lines, on each side of all side lot lines, or across lots where necessary or advisable. Easements for electric power transformers and similar equipment should not be located in the flow lines of drainage swales and ditches. All easements shall be noted on the final plat, condominium plat, or certified survey map followed by reference to the use or uses for which they are intended. All lines, pipes, cables, and similar equipment shall be installed underground unless the town or County finds that the topography, soils, depth to bedrock, woodlands, wetlands, or other physical barriers would make underground installation impractical, or that the lots to be served by said facilities can be served directly from existing overhead facilities and requiring underground installation would constitute an undue hardship upon the subdivider. Associated equipment and facilities which are appurtenant to underground electric power, communications, and gas facility systems, including but not limited to substations, pad – mounted transformers, pad-mounted sectionalizing switches, above-grade pedestal-mounted terminal boxes, junction boxes, meter points, and similar equipment may be installed at ground level and shall be placed in an visually unobtrusive location or screened from public view while maintaining necessary access.

(b) Drainage Easements. Where a land division is traversed by a drainageway or stream, an adequate easement shall be provided as may be required by the town or County zoning committee. The location, width, alignment, and improvement of such drainage or easement shall be subject to the approval of the town or County engineer. Where necessary, stormwater drainage shall be maintained by landscaped open channels of adequate size and grade to hydraulically accommodate maximum potential volumes of flow, subject to review and approval by the town or County.

(c) Conservation Easements. See Section 14.07-10.

(d) Vision Clearance Easements and Cross-, Controlled-, and Shared-Access Easements. The town and County zoning committee may require vision corner or clearance easements, cross-access easements, non- or controlled-access easements, and shared-access easements as a condition of plat or certified survey map approval in order to minimize potential traffic hazards. Access provisions shall be evaluated on case-by-case basis to determine the safety and practicability of cross – and shared-access (i.e. shared entryway or driveway entrance). If the location of cross-access is not known and is dependent on future development or site plan layout, then a note shall be added to the plat or certified survey map indicating that a cross – access shall be provided and the subject lot replatted accordingly when the cross-access location is determined. [Code § 14.07-9, 2018.]